View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 04:48 PM
J@son Per1

Great thread. With that sort of timing I am seriously tempted to submit cards for the first time ever, but no offense to the OP; I seriously doubt they will flip it in a week or two. You must have incriminating photos of the owner in drag or something.

I am not territorial about the grading companies, although I agree a lot of people are. I gladly collect any of the big 3 (PSA, SGC, BVG) as well as raw cards, but have never bought a graded card outside of the big 3. I agree PSA resale value is a bit above SGC, but it is card specific. I would say as the years go from 1940 and earlier up to 1970, the $value spread between like-for-like PSA and SGC increases %-wise. In other words, the pricing can be on parity pre 1950, but by the 70s, PSA takes over. I would presume the price delta between the two widens in the 80s and beyond although I don't collect slabs beyond the 70s.

Personally I think SGC and PSG are = in terms of grading toughness, both now and historically, and BVG is on average around a half to 3/4s of a grade easier. But this is just the average and I have seen cases where the BVG grade is = to what the PSA or SGC grade would be.