View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 02:31 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlenane View Post
Hi - so to answer you question - yes the tech does detect pressed corners. They wind up not being flat and are at a different angle (and pixel color/contrast. The question of whether or not the pressed corner constitutes willing/obvious alteration would be up the human accompanying the software - and the grade would be impacted if that is the case. Corners can also look pressed when they are simply damaged so there is some human judgement there. This is a great example of how tech and humans can work together to make the grading process faster AND more accurate - the tech flags the cards and the grader judges them....

My personal take on corner damage would basically be a more traditional view - so in any case where you are pressing the card down with some kind of tool/press then it feels like alteration but if you are just folding the corner you damaged back down with you finger thats probably okay. Of course there is nuance and any damage anywhere is technically an "alteration" in the dictionary sense of the word - but id think if you are doing anything that could potentially change the thickness of the card you've probably crossed a line.
Thanks for explaining and your take as well. This is all very curious, as many, many collectors have a different opinion. As a matter of fact, I personally know of some very Top Brass at PSA that have told me differently. Additonally, I know of an SGC grader who told me their graders (this was some time ago) would as a courtesy press a corner flat when actually grading a card with a slight bend in the corner.

Sounds like many here, including Kevin, feel the thickness variance from pressing a corner is of issue.

Personally, I have purchased dozens, hundreds, no maybe thousands of PSA slabbed cards that have thickness variance from a pressed corner. Not only that, I have pressed many a corner flat and have PSA slab and grade them. This includes many 9's and even some Gem Mint 10's.

I happen to agree with the un-named TOP PSA EXEC on this front and think it is okay to press a corner flat.

I am guessing this will be un-acceptable going forward when the new technology is in place. YIKES!