View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 02:14 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
That's a pretty strong opinion of SGC as a company. Not saying I disagree with you; however, it would be unfair to post something like this without including your name.
Fixed it, Eric. Sorry about that. In the past, I've commented on quite a few companies, including SGC, usually in a positive light, and no one has pointed it out before.

As for my opinion, it's not a very strong one. Maybe I worded my initial post a bit strongly. In retrospect, though, it is only that I am disappointed in SGC, who I had hoped to make my new grader of choice. I'm not personally outraged (years of serving on corporate boards and as a private investor has left me thick-skinned to this type of thing), but (as a fellow collector) I do find their charging Robert a research upcharge after he helped educate them on the cards in the first place a low blow.

In general, these TPG companies don't seem shy about making announcements. It would have been an easy fix (and a few minutes work) to make an announcement that, in order to keep turnaround times low, the company has decided only to grade major, widely collected sets in its main submission pipeline. Other cards can expect additional fees due to more experience personnel needed for grading. This would especially helpful since many long time customers of the company are simply sending in the same cards they have had graded before without any upcharges and are suddenly being called for more money.

That this hasn't been fixed yet suggests to me that either the company is hoping to collect these fees (more likely once the customer has already sent the cards in and faces two-way shipping charges than if the initial bill said $55/card instead of $30 (or whatever)) or that it no longer cares that much for a portion of its traditional customer base and would rather replace them with customers breaking out Justin Herbert parallels. That is not a bad business decision. In fact, depending where the company plans to be in a few years, maybe it is the best one for them. But being transparent about it would be the better solution...in my opinion.

Last edited by Frankish; 05-17-2021 at 02:19 PM.