View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Jim,
I don't think they ever did a show together.
Vince died Friday Oct 3, 1986. On Sat Oct 4th and Sun 5th, I was set up at a show in Connecticut (Newtown I think) where Joe, Dom, and Vince were set to appear. The promoter was Chris (I can't remember his last name, but he always wore a cowboy hat). He had it billed as the first time the three of them were at a show together.
Obviously, when news of his passing arrived the night before the promoter was panicked. Joe and Dom had already arrived, but a lot of discussions were had about what they were going to do. In the end, the story Chris told me, was that it was Dom who convinced Joe to stay and complete the show, I was told that Dom understood the financial commitment the promoter had made and Vince would've wanted them to stay and not leave the guy hanging.
It was a very emotional show for them both. They were often seen with tears in their eyes.
Mark
Wow ! Thanks and great post. I knew I remember seeing it advertised and the pre-sales included a baseball signed by the TRIO, which were of course due to be signed at the show. I've often wondered why I've never seen any of these show signed baseballs (that I can remember) re surface and now your post would explain it.

On a different note I remember being set up at a show in California where Sandy Koufax was one of the signing guests , My table was next to the door where we would come and go and about 15 feet from the table where he was signing. I was headed over to the show after breakfast on the 2nd day and someone pulled me aside and said "Did you hear ?" and I said "hear what?" and he told me Don Drysdale died last night.

I figured for sure Koufax would not make the show but he did and I will never forget the look on his face when he finally came through the door and into the hall to sign , He looked FRAGILE and his face was pale like he had just seen a ghost. Like he was still in total shock. Was a sad show to be at