View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hey guys,

As I've said in my 1st post in this thread, I collected the original Bond Bread cards in the Summer of 1947. Here are some of my original cards......

I have an excellent memory of these cards (as they were the first BB cards I collected as an 8-year old kid). Plus, I'm fortunate to have
all my original cards from my youth.

These Bond Bread (Rounded corners) cards were available from Bond Bread packages to us kids in my neighborhood in 1947 and 1948.

My research indicates that circa 1949 the Square versions of these B/W cards were available. These Square cards were never available
in our neighborhood. Rounded or Square, these 48-card issues were printed on good quality cardboard which has remained WHITE for
almost 70 years.

Circa 1980, David Festberg (hobby dealer) discovered in a North Jersey warehouse a box (or boxes) containing 1000's of B/W (Square
cornered) cards similar to the above cards. However,

1....there were only 24 (of the 48) subjects in this find.

2....these 24 cards were printed on an inferior cardboard stock, as these cards are thinner than the 1947 and 1949 issues.
And, the backs of the cards are "TONED", instead of WHITE.

Furthermore, when you compare the original cards (1947 & 1949) with the cards from Festberg's find, it's quite obvious that the original
cards have a noticeable B/W contrast. Where the Festberg cards' images are somewhat "faded"....indicative of reprints.

Long-time collectors/dealers have arrived at these same observations as I have stated here.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-08-2020 at 09:27 PM.