View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 08:36 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eisenbath View Post
Gentlemen, I respect your knowledge and opinions very much, so I'd like to ask your advice. I have a strong emotional affinity for Stan Musial. I'd really like to own a 1947 Bond Bread Musial. A ROUNDED-CORNERS Musial, of course. But I'm suspect of a couple I've seen that they could be altered versions of a squared-corners one. Is there history of this happening? With PSA not touching those cards, I find only SGC-graded cards. Should I trust completely those cards are legit? If I look at a raw card, is there a giveaway on alteration? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The "rounded-corners" are not exactly round, but were die-cut and can generally appear suspect because of the crude nature of the die-cutting. At the moment, not too many of the "squared-corners" have been trimmed to look as if they are "rounded" ones. For the moment, that should not be your biggest concern.

The real issue is whether the card is an actual Bond Bread package insert card or whether it is a virtually identical lookalike from the "rounded-corner" Sport Star Subjects set.

Those participating in this thread have not come to a consensus as to the date of issue of the Sport Star Subjects set. A few doubt whether the Sport Star Subjects set ever existed with "rounded-corners."

If you see a Musial card you like, take it on its face value. I am of the opinion that the very high grade Stan Musial cards available today (whether graded or not) are generally not Bond Bread cards but are from the round-corner Sport Star Subjects set.

Mike