View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default selling on EBAY worldwide ?

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've sold a lot of fashion photos and about 40-50 percent of the buyers were foreign-- including Germany, France, Italy, England, etc. One of the buyers turned out to be the founder of Sotheby's photography department. I've never had any troubles. Most of the buyers had good feedback and a fair amount of transactions. They all want to use PayPal and understand an extra shipping charge. Would I be nervous about sending a $5,000 baseball card to someone in Moscow? Sure. But my average sale was a $100 British photo to someone in England, or a $150 Italian photo to someone in Rome.

I once sold an England World Cup soccer uniform used in a movie. I would have been dumb to use USA only, and, as one could anticipate, the winner was in England. One Canadian hockey collector said the dumbest things American eBay sellers of hockey cards do is limit bidders to Americans, as many to most hockey buyers are Canadian.

If you're selling Bart Starr cards or Joe Sewell memorabilia, it's no big deal whether or not you allow international bidders. Whatever your setting, it's highly unlikely you be getting bids from Montevideo and Budapest.

I've also purchased world wide on eBay, but stick with sellers who are obviously experienced and have good feedback. I also am purchasing items that are native to their continent and I will be unlikely to find at Target. In other words, I don't purchase my 1987 Topps from Oslo.

One thing I highly recommend about selling internationally is that you give good competent service and be friendly and fair. After all, you are representing your county and how you act will be reflect upon your country.