View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 10:00 AM
John Donovan

While I pretty much focus on vintage these days, you can't get the pack opening experience.

So I typically get one box of modern a year (or maybe a couple blasters)...but my mindset going in is that I'm paying for the entertainment of opening packs. I have ZERO expectations of getting the same value out of the box that it costs to buy it.

I usually come out of a box break with a couple interesting cards I keep for my collection. A card or two to sell on ebay to get a few dollars back, and then the rest of the cards go in to the recycle bin because it makes me happier to keep a smaller, organized collection than have big boxes of commons I don't care about. But it's FUN to open packs and dream of hitting a BIG card.

That being said, I can pretty much get the same experience opening 80's junk wax. I have an LCS not far away that sometimes sells late 80's and early 90's Topps, Donruss, Fleer for $15.00 a box. I enjoy that about as much as opening a $100 box of modern, especially if there is a chance at one of those early autograph cards, Elite inserts, etc. So I'll pick those up when I can.

In fact, a previous poster mentioned 1991 Fleer. I literally have a wax box of that now that I'm going through. So much yellow, that when I hit the occasional black bordered Pro-Vision (which are still pretty much worthless), it feels like a nice "hit".