View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 05:38 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbond View Post
Grades posted, and cards shipped
This was business day #30 (they've had them since 2/20).

The bad news is that I don't think they understand Japanese menko (or at least the grader I got this time). Almost everything is flagged as "minimum size not met" or "evidence of trimming" (I always have an issue with the 2nd term, as it implies deception). But evidently SGC is looking for kids to hand-cut their cards with more precision....
When I sent in one of my 1958 Menko Jackie Robinsons to SGC, their head grader told me (through one of their reps) that they stopped giving most Menko cards numeric grades because of how they were distributed (in envelopes hanging from strings and through mail in exchange sheets of 2, 4, and 8 cards that were then cut apart by kids). They said they will not designate them as "hand cut" like PSA does. Then they sent me an old Beckett article that they used when establishing this policy. I'm not sure if this applied to all Menko cards or if it was just the 1958 set though? But I believe he implied it was for most, if not all, Menkos whether he intended to or not.

I then sent it to PSA and they gave it a numeric grade and the "hand cut" designation.

Here's a link to that article:
https://www.beckett.com/news/sadahar...ards-and-more/

Also, a friend of mine had a different Menko Jackie that was graded as SGC AUTHENTIC as well. After he sold it, the buyer crossed it to PSA and it also received a numeric grade (1.5) even though the right edge was butchered and IMO was deserving of the "Authentic" grade.

Last edited by Snowman; 04-02-2024 at 05:42 AM.