View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
No just the one book. I just couldn't believe how these folks went so nuts over a common book someone was selling. Yes, a $10 book went for $610 when the dust settled. So I got hold of the 2nd place bidder behind the scenes and sold mine for $600. My conscience and my wife guilted me into returning his $600 cashier's check and finally selling him the book for $10. But I proved my point that people will buy anything, including baseball cards. I can't tell you the number of fake cards that came into my nephew by marriage's stamps, coins and cards shop back in the 1990s. This is how I learned to authenticate them. Once you learn, the fakes stand out like sore thumbs, even in lo-res eBay auction photos.
I misunderstood your original post. I thought the original listing was also yours. WOW has eBay changed over the years. In the late 90s when eBay was getting more popular. You would watch for cards that sell for good prices but still were considered rare. Then run a quick 3 day auction that ended before the other sellers listing. You would steal his high bidders and your card would sell for more.