View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 10:10 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
A couple of years ago I ran across a lot of about 2/3 of a 1957 Topps baseball set at a local card show. The dealer was selling the commons individually. As I looked through the pile, I noticed that not only were there no doubles, but they were in order and all had good registration and pretty good centering. I started to pull out a pile of them but then decided to make an offer for the entire lot with the idea that I'd put the set together. I got a really good deal on the bunch, but what I found out as we were discussing the pending deal is that they all had a letter written in ink on the back along with an ink stamp. The fronts were clean, but the backs had been 'marked', sort of a cattle brand if you will. I convinced myself that was OK, as some of the T206 guys actually collect back stamps, and besides, this was the back and not the front. I ended up also buying all the stars he had pulled out to sell individually, including Brooks RC, and made my way home with a bundle of 60 year old cards I had no intention of buying at the beginning of the show. I'll never forget what the dealer told me as we consummated the deal - "I might as well sell the whole lot as the landlord don't take baseball cards for rent".

I finished up the set at Chantilly in July of 2019, with Mick being the last card I needed. And as I look through the binder full of 1957s today, I'll glance at the back of a card to see if it was part of 'the find' or added later.

Enjoy your '55 Bowmans for what they are - a group of cards that have been together since 1955, enjoyed by the owner, and still together after so many seasons.
That's an awesome pick up and so cool you get em all. Like you, I will forever think of the history behind my grouping as I look thru them, a whole different perspective. Thanks for sharing that! Wish my "numbers" were on the back!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03