View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 11:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Yes I was referring to a model 1897 military bike. Solid goodyear tires so no flats. Steel frame and rims. And most importantly it answers OP question, That Spaulding did sell other manufacturers products at their stores.
The article also stated that Spaulding was the largest manufacturers of Bikes in the US in the 1890's which surprised me.
J
That was a surprise to me too.
Looking some stuff up, Spalding actually bought the 40+ brands in 1898 before combining with Pope in 1899. Popes company was huge as well producing cars and motorcycles and some other stuff. It seems like the companies may have been close before that merger. That of course makes me wonder how much of Popes bike stuff was really Spalding, and what if anything Spalding used from Pope.

And this applies to other sporting goods, because there was always a lot of branding etc, like if I could sell enough gloves regionally, I would probably have someone like Spalding make them and put my name on them.

There are some pretty big minimums, but I can still do this today if I want to spend enough.