View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 01:26 PM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Would you characterize me as "shady, deceptive, and disingenuous" on this topic?
I would, yeah. You move the goalposts and build strawmen when you're defending card cleaning. In another thread, you defended Kurt's Card Care because it's "mostly distilled water," and then implied that people are being irrational because they're afraid of water:

Quote:
People often fear that which they don't understand or can't explain. They just assume that soaking a card in water will damage it and then attempt to justify their position because it just feels wrong to them. The hobby is like a religion to some with viewpoints that cannot be challenged.

The ironic part to me is that these same people are completely fine with collectors putting their grimy oily fingers with French-fry grease, dirt, snot, and god knows what else all over their cards, as if none of those substances "alter" the card. But the moment you talk about removing any of that or of even just water touching the card, they completely lose their marbles as they chant "ALTERATION!!!" and start calling for heads to roll. I honestly find it hilarious.

Kurt made it abundantly clear in his interview that he's not using water. Yet instead of conceding that some people might be rationally opposed to mystery chemicals also being used on cards, you revert back to the arguments that (1) Water doesn't damage cards, and (2) Trust Kurt because he's an expert.

Quote:
Furthermore, this claim that we don't know the long term effects of soaking cards and that it poses serious risks is also nonsense. People have been soaking cards for more than a century. There is a long established history of the effects of soaking cards. There are millions of soaked cards in slabs.
People have not been soaking cards in Kurt's for more than a century. There is not a long established history of soaking cards in Kurt's. We can't look to the history of soaking in water to predict with confidence what would happen to cards soaked in Kurt's mystery elixir.

Quote:
Properly cleaning and soaking cards preserves them. It does not destroy them. There is an entire field dedicated to the preservation and safe restoration techniques of paper artifacts.
This seems like an appeal to authority. We have to take your word for it that Kurt is a scholar who properly restores and preserves cards after careful research. When I watched his interview, I saw a guy who might be fun to grab a beer with, but not a master chemist who could confidently state that his product will never be detectable. His answer when asked whether someone could detect his work on a vintage card was equivocal and concerning.