View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
But they have many PSA 4, 5, 6, etc. on their website for sale. Not looking to cross you, simply wondering how that can be.

And is that true about NESC's, that they sell the second cut cards from of 4SC? Or is it an urban myth?
Over the years, I have bought many graded cards from 4sc and many raw cards from NESC.

My observation is over the years, as PSA costs have increased, many of the vintage (higher pop) commons that 4sc sells are typically a grade higher than they used to be 7-10 years ago . A few years back I built 72 and 75 Topps PSA sets (primarily PSA 8s) as well as started several other sets from the late 60s/early 70s that I am between 50-75% complete on. Many of the cards for my sets were PSA 8 cards from 4sc as there was an abundant supply of cards in this grade range. Recently, I visited 4sc ebay store and most (not all, but many) cards they offer from these sets now start off at the PSA 9 level instead of the PSA 8 level. In other words, because of many the PSA 8 cards for these years I previously collected now have absurdly high pop counts coupled with the increase in PSA costs, now most of 4sc's higher pop offerings now start as PSA 9s. Obviously, on lower pop/star cards, NESC still offers cards in lower grades. The days of finding a plethora of your basic (higher pop) PSA 8 commons for the cards from the late 60s-early 70s appear to be over at 4sc.

Maybe there have always been a plethora of 9s offered by 4sc, but the fact that 9s are the new 8s seems to say the submission model used by 4sc has changed from where it was 5-10 years ago.

Nesc does sell the cards 4sc does not submit/have returned. Over the past few years the percent of raw cards I have received from nesc that are more characteristic of what is typically seen in 8s has grown as compared to years ago when the bulk of cards primarily had the quality more characteristic of 7s. This trend supports what is now seen with 4sc offering more 9s than 8s.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 11-12-2018 at 10:51 AM.