View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Steve, I would never insult any new collector who posts here honestly wanting to learn, but here are my thoughts on getting into a new vintage card issue:
  • study the hell out of scans, anywhere you can find them, noting differences betwen cards sold by good sellers and those actually labelled as reprints or as 'real-looking'
  • ask questions
  • Buy a few cheap common semi-beaters from board members (or ebay) and study the hell out of them
  • Only after doing the above, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a more expensive example, but from a reputable source

Too many people, before doing the above, post a link to an expensive card;e.g-1910's Cobb, Wagner, etc, asking us if we think it is real, because they actually plan to buy it as their first card in the set
Wanting to learn is completely different from thinking that where you got the card is any indicator of wether it's genuine. Maybe if he asked how he could be sure it's real? That would be learning.

My first Goudey came from a yard sale.
My first 48 Bowman Football were found in a trash barrel.
At the second show I went to a dealer was selling Dover reprint T206s with machine rounded corners.

Had I bought one I could legitimately answer that I bought it at a show in 1978. And it would still be fake.

Answering questions, even dumb ones patiently is the way to go, but sometimes when I was selling I had to wait a couple hours before answering.

"Shipping is 1.00 in the US, elsewhere at cost"
"How much to ship to Idaho?"
Yeah, I had to wait a bit.

A batch of movie posters I bought had a bunch from Bang the Drum Slowly. Every time I listed one the same person would ask if it was original or a reprint. I don't actually know the answer, so I'd always reply giving details that might not show in the picture and asking if he knew how to tell. Never replied, never bid.

Steve B