View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Default Cool Mecca Cigarettes Item on eBay - Ever so slightly O/T

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Not sure if any of you saw the auction that ended last night for the Mecca cigarette pack. The final price was slightly over $50.00 and not needing a Mecca cigarette pack for my collection, I did not bid. However, this pack had sort of an interestig twist to it and I truly hope I don't come to regret not bidding later on. Regardless, I thought the board might enjoy the story, so I decided to post it...

We often wonder and discuss the history of our cardboard treasures, who owned them, how were they obtained, etc (just look at the Gilliam Squires post below to understand what I mean). However, it appears the cardboard packages these cards once came in also have interesting stories. The Mecca cigarette pack on eBay was the correct year for double-folder distribution, but that isn't the interesting part of the story or why I posted. What was interesting was the hand written notation on the inner slide. It read "This was found in the head of the Statue of Liberty New York Harbor. We climbed to the head of her. MT. - Sightseers: David Evans, Thomas Jennings, Margaret Jennings - July 26, 1912".

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket