View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Al Rosen appeared either in the top row on the center of the sheet (most likely location) or in the top row in the far right corner.

He also appeared in the fourth row either in the top row on the center of the sheet or in the top row far in the far right corner (most likely location).

It is possible that machine damage caused this if the card was in the top row, far right corner AND it is also possible if it was in the center of the sheet. How could it cause damage in the center of the sheet? Because the A and B sheets were printed on one huge sheet on a Lord Balitmore Press that had a built on splitter (a device that cut the big sheet into two "smaller" sheets). Thus this center card would have then been on the top right corner of the smaller sheet.

With those facts stated, I still find the claim inconclusive because the known 1952 Topps sheets show that there were extra wide borders around the edges of the sheet. To get this damage from the pulling machine ... you would have seen much larger damage to the corner of the sheet. Which would have made this very obvious right off the bat ... and presumably would have been quickly corrected.

But I will say, I have seen that corner damage on the Rosen card frequently.
Steve Birmingham probably can shed some light on this for us.

Cheers,
Patrick

Last edited by SMPEP; 10-19-2017 at 10:15 AM.