View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 01:26 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
A little while later I went to pay, figuring it was $39, but was shocked to see it went for my maximum bid of $47.88. When I checked the bids, there was a last second 'bid' that was exactly 99 cents less than my max, thus ensuring that I would have to spend every cent I bid!! There is no way this was legitimate, right? I mean, come on!!! A last second bid (in the bizarre amount) of $46.89 pushing me exactly to my maximum by someone who had no bids except for that one???

Here's a screenshot. The blacked out ones are me. I only bid once (where it says $39) with a max of $47.88:

Attachment 506312

Please no one say the old chestnut, "I bid the max I'm willing to pay and whatever happens happens." This isn't a lot of money, but to me it reeks!

Other than saying it was just a weird coincidence that someone bid exactly 99 cents less than my maximum (in a strange bidding amount), am I wrong to think the fix was in???
The fact it was exactly 99 cents lower isn't relevant. There is a $1 range that would've produced the same result. For instance, he could've bid a dollar less than you, or 56 cents less, or 6 cents less, all producing the same result.

The fact both your bids are timestamped the same, right at the end, I can understand the algorithm needing a moment to log both bids, and then bump yours appropriately.

Not seeing anything unusual or coincidental here.