View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I don't think it is all about the money. You can have all of the money in the world and not be able to acquire certain cards.
Essentially everyone who is familiar with collecting Mickey Mantle cards knows the significance of a graded MINT 1953 Topps Mick. A masterpiece in every way, with a pop to prove it. Glad it brought a price commiserate with its splendor and stature, considering it was consigned before this latest uproar in the hobby. The opportunity to fight for a MINT '53 Topps is very seldom.

Back to my quote from your excellent post, the first card that came to my mind for a frustrated deep pocket Mickey Mantle baseball card warrior would be the unique, one of one 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle graded MINT 9 by PSA. It's not in the news or hobby papers, few talk about it, and frankly, it's not on the radar of most collectors.

The key word is "most". A mint Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle is all but impossible, and a worthy epitome of this highest echelon card conundrum, among a few others. I believe the last time that world-class king-sized gem transacted was in a SCD Mr. Mint Alan Rosen phone auction in Janurary, 1988. I can assure you the humbled owner has been loving it ever since.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-20-2019 at 02:46 PM.