View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Alright. Let's just assume, even though healthy foods are available for cheap in every single city in America, that obese people (who are only poor, America's obesity has exploded in every income demographic as you guys completely ignore because it doesn't fit the victim narrative; a family of 4 with an income of $13K is not our obese population and all of you know this) cannot possibly afford to eat right. They are also too poor to eat junk and fast food. Shouldn't they be really, really thin then, from not being able to eat junk food or healthy food? If they cannot afford good food or bad food, how are they obese?
From having been on food stamps myself while having been a member of a family of 5, I can tell you that just because a family like mine could not go out to eat junk food at McDonalds frequently does not mean that we could not afford "bad" food. And by "bad" food, I mean a lot of lower cost, higher fat, pre-packaged meals that don't cost a lot to feed a family of 4 or 5. We could not afford lean ground beef; we bought cheaper ground beef with higher fat content. I don't need to go into what's going on with high fructose corn syrup, but yup, ate my share of those products as well. I had PE class every day, while not eating large portions of food on a regular basis. So I did get some exercise and did not overeat, and so I have my own experience from which to speak. I have also worked in med centers that treat low income and indigent families, and can tell you that this is not an uncommon scenario. Does it apply to all people though? Certainly not. Quantity of servings, exercise, genetics and food choices (either based or not based on income and poverty levels) themselves factor into the equation, though not all of them may be equal contributors to any one individual's cause fore being obese, or thin for that matter. It's just important to not generalize. We as a society tend to do this.

Last edited by jethrod3; 12-08-2022 at 02:42 PM.