View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 06:39 AM

Default Ernie Shore "Perfect Game" Baseball Achievement Award in relief of Babe Ruth 1917

I'm really happy to have added this neat piece of history to my advanced no-hitter collection last night.

Many of you may possibly be aware that on June 23rd, 1917, Babe Ruth was the starting pitcher in a historic game at Fenway that was one for the ages.
Ruth got in an argument with home plate umpire Brick Owens for calling four consecutive pitches balls to begin the game, allowing an immediate walk of Nats leadoff hitter Roy Morgan. Lots of arguing back and forth between Ruth and Brick Owens and the Babe proceeded to take a swing at Owens. This immediately got Ruth tossed from the game.

Without even warming up, Red Sox RHP Ernie Shore came into the game in relief. Roy Morgan immediately tried to steal 2nd, but was thrown out.
Shore famously proceeded to get the next 26 batters out and hurling perfect ball in relief.
Until 1991 this game was, in fact, declared a "perfect game".
In 1991, the rules surrounding no-hitters and perfect games changed and this game became a no-hitter in spite of it's unusual place in baseball history.

Ernie Shore, a famous North Carolina resident and Sheriff of Forsyth County for many years, was honored by the Governor of NC in 1972 for this great achievement in baseball history.

This award came by way of Jan Shore, the oldest daughter of Ernie Shore.
It's a perfect fit for my collection & happy to have it.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-12-2022 at 04:22 AM.