View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 02:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've been trying to figure this out.

There's most memorable to most people. And most memorable to me, which most people don't remember at all.

Most of the generally memorable ones have been covered already.
I'd add David Ortiz walk off in game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, although it may be a distant 10th? 15th? to some of those others.

And Ted Williams homering in his last at bat.

For me, of course there are the usual ones already mentioned. The ones I wasn't around for were a big enough deal that I saw them on film years after.

I don't know the date, but a Jim Rice HR I saw in person was amazing. It seemed like the ball was gone in the time it took to turn my head to see where it went. The other home runs I'd seen all were in the air long enough to watch and enjoy. This was just bang! and on to the parking garage, maybe beyond.

The other was a Dave Kingman HR at Fenway I think 77 while he was with the Yankees. A massive shot, or maybe just the biggest popup home ever.
Most Yankees /Redsox homers have a lot of cheering going on. This one it started then just faded to stunned silence for a few seconds.
It hit up in the bank of lights on the tower in left center. Homers into the lights on the tower closer to the foul line were not very unusual. This was the only one I recall seeing into the farther lights.
Not on anyones list of longest homers at Fenway, not on youtube, nothing...

Likewise for one Nomar hit. Very few homers had been hit out of Fenway to the right of the flagpole. And none after they put up the added bit of wall there. I think when I heard about homers to that area, it was Foxx, Rice, and maybe Mantle?
Nomar hit one that hit the new wall section right about in the center. In the older version of the park it would have been a fourth.
Not really any mention of it either at the time, or later.