View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 10:44 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
George, you have just confirmed what I have suspected for some time - you and I are most likely seeking many of the same pre-War cards of Washington Senators players. I collect (1) as many cards as I can of all the players on the 1924 WS Championship Team, with special emphasis on Sam Rice & WaJo cards, and (2) type cards, with my type examples being Senators, where feasible.

BTW, one important career Washington player, who didn't make the HOF, but was well on his way before WWII ruined his career, is Cecil Travis.

To add some pics to this post, here are cards of some of the much-lesser-known players on the 1924 Senators team:
One of the amazing things about the '24 Nats is how incredibly weak the bench was, and even in some of the starting positions and pitching. An amazing number of cup-of-coffee guys were picked up and tried out during the season in an attempt to fill the centerfield and third base jobs, shore up the relief pitching, and provide reliable bench help. Finally, Earl McNeely--who had never played in the majors--and Ossie Bluege solidified those spots in time for the pennant run and world series, but this area of severe weakness came to the fore in the series when Peckinpaugh went down with an injury in game six and Ralph Miller and Tommy Taylor, with almost no big league experience between them, had to fill in at third in the legendary 7th game. Question for you, Val: what 1924 players have you been unable to find cards for, or I should say aren't known have a card?