View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Chris Counts

I regretfully sold off a very nice collection of cards by the time I was 18. But the one card I kept was a beat-up 1948 Bowman Pete Reiser. I was always impressed by how hard he played, even if it meant wrecking his career by running into walls. About two decades later, I discovered eBay, and I've been rebuilding the collection ever since. But one card occupies a unique place in it, not only because it's in worse shape than any other card I have, but because I've had it longer than any other.

"I bought this card, raw, from Mike Berkus at one of his Anaheim CA shows in the 1970s. Either Memorial Day or Thanksgiving weekend. It cost me $12, which was a lot for me at the time, but I wanted a WaJo. The slab came many years later."

Adam, my original collection came mostly from SoCal shows in the 1970s. I'll never forget walking into my first show at the Disneyland Hotel in '73 or '74, and seeing John Parks selling T206 singles for $1 each and HOFers for $3 each. There were hundreds, and all were high grade. Those were the days!

Last edited by Chris Counts; 02-28-2019 at 05:51 PM.