View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 01:05 PM

T3 is one of the vintage card sets I wished I had pursued more (along with the Cracker Jacks). I think one of the reasons I held back was because of their size.

Here is my Jennings. It has a fun (in retrospect) story attached to it. I was at a card show, probably in the early to mid 1990's, and came to a table of a well-known dealer/hobby author. He had a binder full of T3 cards in plastic sheets. At the time I was in the need for a T3 type card, preferably a Hall of Famer, and something inexpensive (boy, nothing has changed in my collecting habits). I came across this Jennings...and at $25 it was a perfect match for my requirements. The dealer was seated at his table and busy working with his inventory and had never acknowledged me. I finally got his attention, paid the $25, and he silently (don't believe he said a word) handed me the plastic sheet from the binder with the Jennings. End of story.

Actually, about 15 seconds later as I was walking away from the table, I flipped the sheet over and noticed that it also contained another T3, a much nicer common player. I like a good deal, but the 2 for 1 was not discussed. I returned to the table with the Jennings/other player sheet and told him that I was mistakenly given the additional card. Without looking at me, and with a grunt he slid out the other card and handed me back the sheet with just the Jennings. No thanks for my honesty, nothing. A case of a hobby legend living up to his gruff reputation.

Well at least I have my story and this nice lower condition Jennings to share.

Brian (as far as the pose, I believe Hughie was well known for doing a wildly showy 'Ee-Yah' yell and dance while coaching third base, so to have him depicted as such was a natural choice that he probably didn't mind at all)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t3jennings 001.jpg (82.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg t3jennings 002.jpg (78.6 KB, 105 views)