View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default When you have no money....

Posted By: warshawlaw

Someone finally got one of my FFFB references I am proud to say I own an original issue of Feds 'n' Heads as well as a full run of the boys' later solo magazine.

For those of you not in the know, the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers are a hilarious underground comic from the 60s and 70s by Gilbert Shelton. Sex, drugs, rock n roll, politics (and religion when they can work it in) are all skewered by Fat Freddie, Freewheelin' Franklin and Phineas (three brothers from other mothers) and Fat Freddie's Cat (a government agent code named F. Fredrick Skitty), who is smarter than all of them combined. Plus, the supporting characters, Norbert the Narc, Governor Rodney Richpigge, President Nignew, etc.

Shelton did stuff like have Norbert plant a smell-transmitting bug in the boys' apartment to catch them smoking pot--of course, they go out for Mexican food and Norbert got a noseful of the after-effects instead, had the gov try to boost his youth vote by handing out all the confiscated drugs to young voters, etc. Their trip to Mexico and their encounter with a CIA smuggling operation is a riot. One I liked had the government lose a canister of plutonium which a hippie found and made into Ronald Reagan medallions that he sold at a swap meet--the joke being that all the FBI types looking for the plutonium ended up buying the medallions and taking them to work the next day where they were confiscated as non-conforming clothing. Lest you think it was just a hippie slam on the establishment, Shelton also craps all over the pie in the sky dreams of the counter-culture. The boys find a year's supply of coke in one episode, move to the country and build an amazing commune. Once the coke runs out, of course (in a few days), they find it is all a drug-induced mirage. In another one a crank vegetarian car mechanic fixes Franklin's car with beans and guacamole. Their trip to Mexico takes a big, well aimed shot at the hippie-dippie Don Juan and Timothy Leary books with their hallucenageic-extolling stories.

It is really funny, funny stuff and holds up very well 30 years later.