View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 12:06 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

We lost another one on Wednesday, January 13. Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls passed away. Not only did he play rhythm guitar in the Dolls, he was responsible for their look. Coming from a family that worked in the clothing business he designed the spandex pants and androgyny that became their signature style.

Though we think of him as a New Yorker, he had lived in Atlanta for a number of years. I guess that is where some of the NY punkers find refuge. Wayne/Jayne County, of Wayne County and the Electric Chairs also moved there.

I knew he was battling cancer. It is still strange when it is people you enjoy seeing perform. Very talented and a nice guy. I got to meet him twice. The first time was 2010 at the Black Cat in Washington, D.C. when he was with the Batusis. The second time was in 2013 at Jammin Java in Vienna, VA when he was doing a punk acoustic tour with Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols.

Sylvain at the Black Cat
sylvain-2.jpg

Sylvain at the Black Cat. The other guitar player is Cheetah Chrome of the legendary punk band the Dead Boys ("Sonic Reducer"). On drums is Lez Warner of The Cult.
sylvain-4.jpg

Sylvain with Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols - Jammin Java
sylvain-matlock-2.jpg

Sylvain at Jammin Java
sylvain-matlock-3.jpg

Neither Jammin Java nor the Red Room at the Black Cat uses tickets. I rely on these:
black cat.jpg
matlock sylvain 5.jpg

I thought I had a signed copy of his first solo album. I either traded it or sold it. My favorite song on it was "Teenage News". He told me his favorite was "14th Street Beat".
Here is a signed copy of the 45 'Fool for You Baby" b/w "Pills" live. This was a 2011 Record Store Day release
dolls 1.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-16-2021 at 02:03 AM.