View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
What made you arrive at that opinion?

I'm not trying to "challenge" you or imply that you don't know what you're talking about. This is the first that I'VE heard about it, and maybe it just reflects that I don't follow the vintage ballcard hobby as closely as many here on the Net 54 do, but what you said is news to me.
It has tripled in value over the last year and is now the most valuable normal print run rookie card, passing the 51B Mantle. Only the 52T Mantle is more popular and expensive among cards with a normal print run. Mantle's popularity is based on being the star of 50s Yankees when card collecting became popular. Those kids grew up and drove the price of that card with their disposal income. As that generation dies off, it is up to further generations to drive demand, but they have no personal connection to that card.

Robinson's legacy is more lasting as the player who broke the color barrier. He has appeal that goes beyond sports and kids who collected cards. I wonder how much the current BLM and social justice movement has in the current run up in price and these things are not going away. There is also the potential for generations of minorities who have been depressed economically to see more disposal income because of these movements. It has been joked that card shows are a bunch of overweight old white men. What happens if they start to look more like America?