View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default Allow me to introduce myself, I am @ndy.

I don't know how I missed this area to introduce myself. I guess I tend to go straight to "new posts" and never look at the main page. Anyways I wanted to introduce myself.

I am a 29year old vintage collector in the St. Louis, MO area. I have been interested in vintage cards and the history of baseball since I was a young child. As a young teen I saw a T206 Doyle (bat on shoulder, piedmont back) at an antique store and asked my parents for it for Christmas (I don't think I asked for anything else). Looking back it was overpriced, but I didn't know much and my parents knew less about the vintage cards so they paid the price and I was surprised to see it on Christmas and thus started my collecting outside my generation. I was the only kid at school that could boast having my own t206, the closest any other kid got was saying their Dad had one.

I don't have any goals though when I collect. If anything I would consider myself a type set collector. If I like it, I buy it. I do seem to have a lot of turnover to keep my collecting going. I own cards until I feel I have owned it long enough and sell and move on to something else. I just enjoy knowing I have been able to own it at one time in my life. There are a few cards I hold on to for nostalgic reasons.

The t206 Doyle will remain with me forever and stay on display, though it confuses collectors that see this low-mid grade fairly common card on display . Also I have been holding on to some late 60s early 70s cards that I found in a box at my grandparents house that appeared to belong to one of my uncles (they have his name written on the back of a few).

My my most goal oriented collection shifted to the '33 goudey set by my late teens yet this is a very slow process and as I don't have a large amount of money and my family grows I don't see my self finishing it.

My modern day collecting has always revolved around Cal Ripken Jr. I was very impressed with his consecutive game streak and, though I never lived in Baltimore nor in a area with an AL team, he struck my interest.

My Dad was always a collector of Tony Gwynn growing up. So it was really neat that both of our collecting interests got inducted to the HOF the same year.

My collection would be far from ever impressing anyone on here, but it is mine. Also I am young and maybe it can grow and I can pass it on to my daughters (or maybe some day a son).

I am really enjoying learning from the other members while also using the site as a museum of collections.