View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Nothing stamped on the bat. I found it out in Hershey at their Antique Automobile swap meet a few years ago. Might be some sort of old store display or folk art piece?

Yes, it's an early Spalding stick. Quite rare from my research. Also, I posted the old 1905 hockey team photo hanging on the wall below the stick. Love the socks!
Hey Matt, you're right. Appropriating the fame and name of the current Stanley Cup champions at the turn of the century; the Montreal Shamrocks, that Spalding stick is especially rare. It dates from approx 1901/02 to 1904 - no later, with the model made until approx 1907/08, with the Spalding stamp changing on the later models. Does yours have a scored or grooved handle? (at the top of the shaft)

The models made before 1904 sport a grooved handle, the later models do not. I have seen only four examples of this stick previously - five now with yours - including three that I have owned (two were sold at auction, and I still have a high grade NOS example in my collection).

The photo is interesting as well... Westmount is an affluent area of Montreal famous for a number of early Hall of Fame members who were either born or raised in the area including Sprague Cleghorn (the toughest and most violent player in history), Art Ross and the Patrick brothers (Lester and Frank).

..... I also forgot to mention in my first post, great room! I love the set up and displays.

Last edited by Huysmans; 08-05-2021 at 10:24 AM.