View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Similar to the recurring (albeit it must be difficult, I've yet to see a third copy) McGrath in post 23, I found a Jack Sullivan with a similar "splotching". In hand, the light black layer over much of the card that appears smudged in several places at top is not dirt or damage. On right is a normal Sullivan with the same Mecca 649 back.

None of my other Sullivan's, or those on eBay at present, have this effect, but it is probably recurring, because of how this fits with the McGrath.

The more interesting thing about this card is how it fits with the McGrath I have. I have been looking for another series 1 card with a smudge defect like this in the bottom right of the card since I found the second McGrath, as it may suggest which card was the column/partial column next to McGrath. The second images shows the two defects with their backs oriented facing down, how they would presumably appear on a sheet. It is not conclusive evidence, but it does seem to suggest these cards may have been sheet mates. The matching defect, the matching shape with the 'two humps' and the matching location of the primary defect area would seem to indicate something in the way of the ink in this spot while printing. The evidence against this is that both the McGraths in my possession are F30 backs, Sullivan an F649, but this sample size is awfully small to conclude anything about.

I would be very interested in other folks Sullivan's (and McGrath's) to see if there are more examples (there must be, I am sure), particularly a F30 Sullivan or an F649 McGrath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4768.jpg (75.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4782.jpg (66.0 KB, 67 views)