View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 PM
Todd Schultz

Default 1964 Topps Stand-Up Proofs

I have a couple of questions about 1964 Topps Stand-Ups progressive proofs. I just acquired what appears to be the final proof of Orlando Cepeda–no die cuts–as seen in the bottom row second card. The others I obtained more than 15 years ago as a group, so I thought/think this is the final piece. The last card shown on the bottom is the final version as released.

Note that the green “grass” is a bit higher on the final, which is even slightly more noticeable in hand. Also note the difference in the backs shown far right. All but the one I just obtained have the lighter cream color while the unperforated is darker and nearly exactly like the final product. Also note the lighter backs are about 1/32" less wide.

My question is whether you think the unperforated “final”card I just obtained is in fact a proof or just a card that slipped through the production process without a diecut.

I also would appreciate opinions of value. I did not spend a lot of time researching these in the past 15 years, and all I seem to locate quickly is a partial set of three Ernie Banks that went for about $1800 in Mile High and a set of four Mantles (missing the ghost white) that went for $3300 in REA. I did not see back scans that might help me here. This is the only group of five of which I am aware. If you have others, please show them. Thanks for looking.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-19-2021 at 09:27 PM.