View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Bill Cohon

http://www.net54baseball.com/images/...attach/jpg.gif

This is my rarest card (not the most attractive), and the story of its acquisition.

My wife tolerates my baseball card affliction admirably. She knows the cards are worth something, and she knows I spend money on them, but she prefers not to know the details. Fine with me - I keep a separate baseball card fund off the household books, and handle purchases discreetly.

Unfortunately, the ebay auction that brought me this treasure was scheduled to end in the middle of a dinner party we were hosting. There was no choice, I had to tell her about it! And I knew I would have to bid about 25 times what she thought it was worth. Sticky situation.

I excused myself from the table with five minutes left in the auction, and prepared to snipe. Praying that no one would join me in the computer room, I typed in my bid. As I nervously counted down the seconds, guests were shouting from the dining room "Is it over? Did you get it?" Finally, I pushed send.

Needless to say, I was overjoyed with the result. But for the rest of the evening, I had my hands full, ducking the question of what I paid.