View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Martin

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on the fine looking 55 AA you picked up.
I think you are going to find the 55 set challenging yet very satisfying with the bold colors and card design as well as the player selection of the set. Unlike the bigger Baseball sets you won't find yourself having to go after countless common cards that make up 75% of most Baseball Sets.

I started set of 55's 3-4 years ago. Its one of the few sets I choose to do graded and of coarse they absolutely have to be in SGC slabs.

Cost was a concern for me so I chose to make an EXMT set focusing on centering(Im a centering freak), Well that didn't last long as I started to aquire some High grade cards and thought, "OK I can do NM or better"

Well that didn't last long...... LOL

Anyway its a great set and Im Exactly halfway there with 50 cards. Ive been kind of sidetracked for the last year or so and haven't added a card in awhile.

The darn things keep getting more expensive! Even the Mid grade EXMT cards!

I would also like to give a big shout out to Rob and Erik for more than kind words in mentioning my name to you.

I did have quite a few extras awhile back, but dealt most of them away.
I do still have a couple more.

This one was a PSA 7 was part of a group of PSA cards I was crossing over to SGC. They put that tiny mark on the top border cracking it out. Yes I was disappointed but they did pay me the declared value of the card. I think the card is still a solid EXMT even with that little mark. I don't know if your subbing any cards or just looking for cards that are slabbed.
asking $12 delivered Pay-Pal Gift

The only other one I have is this Marshall Goldberg. I think its a pretty darn nice one. Ive seen it go from low 30's to $40.
Asking $35 delivered Pay-pal Gift.

I would like to add some of the other 50 cards I need but seem to keep getting sidetracked by other sets and projects. Here are a few of the 50 cards I have acquired over the last 4 years or so.

This was the first card I ever got. It was part of a trade with my good buddy Mike Tavenner another board member. Could be a bit better centered, but Im content with the card considering the price of others Ive seen.

This was the next card I obtained and was why I initially set out to do Centered EXMT 80 cards. I always felt the card was nice enough to be in a SGC 84 Holder. Unfortunately, I found out it wasn't all that easy to find nice looking centered cards like the Red Grange.

Then I found this one and like the Grange felt it wouldn't look out of place in a 84 NM holder as well. Couple soft corners though, but I'll sacrifice a soft corner for the nice centering.

Then I got this one and that's when I started looking for some higher grade NM cards. As long as they had good centering, But I would in noway pass up the chance at a nicely centered EXMT card as opposed to a off centered NM card.

Then I started to land other cards like these,

And this one!

and here's the unappealing 88 another seller was trying to pitch me for like a thousand dollars more than the 84 I acquired.
I definitely think I got the better of the two cards regardless of the labels someone attached to them.

Then along came this beauty! And it just happened to be the greatest QB in Chicago Bear history!

The Hudson Rookie is the last card I have added to my set and that has been well over a year ago. I seem to rotate from one set to another and the 55 set will rotate back to the top of my listed someday.

I look forward to seeing your latest additions!

regards
John