View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 12:29 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Yy

Jeff,

Great list and info, and some really obscure names on there. That must have taken some real detective work and time to put together. Do have a question for you though, why isn't Earle "Greasy" Neale also on the list? Played in eight seasons with the Reds from 1916 to 1924 (plus 22 games with the Phillies in 1921), and pro football with the Canton Bulldogs in 1917 (alongside Jim Thorpe), the Dayton Triangles in 1918 (and was also their coach), and finally with the Massilon Tigers in 1919?

At first I thought maybe it was because he only played on some pre-NFL teams so you didn't count that. Then I noticed your list also included Ed Abbaticchio whose football playing days ended in 1900, so I ifigured that wasn't it. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that he may have been playing pro football under an assumed name because of amatuer rules that existed back then, and wondered if that may have something to do with it. Have to believe that if you do add him on to your list that he'd end up having more baseball cards than anyone else on it. Curious to find out why he's missing.
None of those things. I was reformating my list and it was a cut and paste error! Itshould be fixed now. Thank you for noticing that.

Can't leave Greasy Neale off the list as he is one of my favorite pre-NFL pros. Here are the cards I have of him so far.

Also this great basketball image of him from a composite team item I have from his college days.

jeff