View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default Would anyone here seriously vote him into the hall

Posted By: john/z28jd

You keep Maris out because he doesnt have stats worthy of the hall of fame.I cant believe youre willing to look past the fact he hit .260 career and didnt reach any milestone in stats,he didnt even have 200 career doubles or steal any bases[21 career]besides what i pointed out above.I didnt even point those out because it seems irrelevant when compared to 850 career rbi's.

Heres a better stat since people want to use his short career.Slugging percent career doesnt take into account short careers,is helps the players with short careers,just like average or winning percent.His slugging percent career is 22 points behind 100th place all-time.Doesnt sound like much but the difference between 56th place and 100th place is 22 points and the further down you go the more bunched up they get so he could be somewhere around 200th place.That stat should be his best measuring stick when compared to other players using the short career excuse as why to elect him.He was a slugger,he obviously didnt hit for average and hes known for his homers,yet cant crack the top 150.This is a guy with a 12 year career and one of the best home run seasons ever so if he was even decent the rest of his career he should rank a little bit higher wouldnt you think.The fact is his great season of 1961 doesnt even crack the top 100 highest slugging percent seasons of all-time,and the other thing to think about is that stat is weighed heavely in favor of post-deadball era guys so youre almost throwing out the first 60 years of baseball when comparing him because only 5 pre-ruth players made that list,and Maris isnt 5 away from 100th place.

You want a much better guy known for home runs to compare him with a whos career makes Maris look even worse of a possible choice.Try looking at Rudy Yorks career stats.the guy who held the single month home run record for 61 years.I think if you check out the stats youll see he was a little bit better than Maris,career average 15 points higher,300 more rbi's in less than 800 more at bats,3 more all-star appearances,9 seasons of 90 or more rbis compared to 3 for Maris,and oh yeah he played the same amount of seasons.How often do you hear Rudy York mentioned for the hall of fame

the short career excuse only works if the player was good for his whole career.12 seasons he would need at least 10 great seasons and his last 4 were horrible,his first one was bad,his 2nd,3rd,7th and 8th were average seasons,his 2 mvp seasons could be considered great and in 1962 he hit 256/33hrs/100 rbis 92 runs scored and didnt lead the league in anything and was on a team with 7 all-stars.I dont consider that a great season but if you want to,then thats 3 seasons where he was hall of fame caliber or 1/4th of his short career at best