View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Modern Card Question: Short card

Posted By: jverri01

I have wondered about this myself. In fact, I find it quite suspicious. I think we should all contact Marc directly! Here is his info...

Mar...

Just kidding. A little light-hearted humor about things past.

Actually, I agree with Scott as well (on pretty much everything, it seems). One thing I would add is, as always, the source from which it was obtained, is many times key to finding the answer. Many cards trimmed do not appear as such, and many cards not trimmed look like they have been. When I find myself at a crossroads like this, and it could go either way, I always base my assessment on the source. For example, I picked up a 67 Stargell recently that at first glance is absolutely flawless in every conceivable way. Upon close inspection, and magnification to examine the borders, I noticed that the bottom edge of the card appeared somewhat rough. I contacted the dealer I "acquired it" from, and he said that he doubted it was trimmed, "based on the identity of the party he acquired it from". I would have believed this had I felt for ONE SECOND that the DEALER was at all reputable! (He is not, we all complain about him, and I am hesitant to mention who he is, although I WILL say he runs monthly auctions to thin out his overstock, and that he occassionally lists tons of stuff on Ebay at unrealistically exorbitant prices. Good clues?) Anyway, had it been Scott, Lee, etc. telling me this, I would have been confident it was for real. Given the source, well... Just my two-pence. jverri01