View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Default Alas, must part with some

Thanks for input. You are right, keep the truly rare stuff. After all this is the stuff near the pinnacle of our hobby. And the T206's are so prized, keep 'em.

Perhaps it's good bye to the Aaron's, took years to complete in high-end for the grade. Saw Hank as a kid, and was smack dab in the middle of my childhood when he broke Ruth's record. He is one of the most admired men in all of sports, up there with Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mathewson, Satchell & Nolan Ryan.

On a tangent, I saw Nolan many times as a kid at Anaheim Stadium. Dad took me to the game CalTech timed his fastball at 100.9 mph - I think still in Guiness Book. We always used to sit higher up, but right behind home plate. I remember that "hop" on his fastball - INCREDIBLE ! I doubt if anyone will ever, ever, ever break his record of 7 no-hitters. Both mom & dad saw Koufax at Dodger stadium, Grandpa saw Walter Johnson in D.C. All 3 said when "on" Ryan was the best the world has ever seen.

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 04-10-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: was 100.9 mph, not 100.3 mph