View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 02:20 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Fun stuff - enjoyed the article. It backs my theory that the first 24 cards are rarely found in excellent condition or better and should be valued much higher than the supposedly rare "blue backs" of 1936. A 1934 version of Dick Bartell in PSA 6 is way rarer than a 1936 version, yet the "blue back" is typically considered rarer, and priced higher, than the "green back".

I've also noticed how frequently PSA mis-labels the cards. They tag the cards with a specific year like "1934 Diamond Stars" but then the back will be a 1935 version. A way too large percentage of PSA Diamond Stars on ebay are mis-labeled. SGC calls it "1934-36 Diamond Stars" then below that they label the specific year - which is often incorrect.
I agree on the relative scarcity. And DEFINITELY with regards to the classification and grading by PSA. For example, there are cards from the 1935 release only where PSA has labeled a small percentage as 1936. There is also the case of Lew Fonseca where PSA has graded nearly all of his 1935 cards as 1934 (age 35). For the most part I just rolled with the PSA pops for 1935 but I did have to add in those Fonseca cards for the data to be sensible.

If all the cards were just labeled 1934-36 it wouldn't bother me as much as the current case where a year is specified but may be incorrect.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/