View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 03:50 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Gary, good question and example of why this isn't an easy answer. The normal thought on these is there are 2 variations. Sepia examples have the name caption and thicker stock, B&W have no name and thinner stock. My Foxx really presents lighter than most other examples I've seen. It is also on noticeably thinner stock than my other cards. While the cut makes it impossible to tell, for those reasons and that it doesn't have a name on top, I believe it is also a no caption variety.

Your Gehrig is interesting as it should be a b&w without the caption though the color looks much closer to the Sepia version, at least to me. Do you know if it is the thinner or thicker stock? Your Gehrig is an example, and not the first I've seen, that makes me wonder if there are actually 4 different permutations of the caption/no caption/sepia/B&W.
Hi DJ, sorry for the late reply. I had to dig up my W554's to check on this. For my Gehrig's, the color for the no caption seems to be the same as the caption version: both are sepia. I also have two Ruth's, caption and no caption, and the no caption does seem to be slightly lighter. All of my W554's are holdered by PSA, so it's really hard to see how thick the cardstock is. To me, all four W554's seem to be the same thickness, but I can could easily be wrong as I'm trying to eyeball these from a weird angle.