View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Without getting too far into it, I worked with a friend who ran with Glenn Burke for in the late 70s/early 80s in the San Francisco scene. He was not a baseball fan and only mentioned it to me later. My friend and I worked together in Virginia in the mid 1980s. He described Burke as wild and joyful and talk about how much all-go they were. My friend was an art director. He passed in the mid-90s.
That is incredible! Everything I’ve heard sounds like Glenn was a really good person. I’m shocked I only recently learned of him and hope that more people are able to learn about him.

I was able to track down a first edition copy of Glenn’s 1995 autobiography which sadly was completed just before his death and published posthumously. I chatted with co-author Erik Sherman and he told me that it was a long and difficult road to publication with only 600-700 initial first edition copies making their way to the public and even then not all of them sold. The book was republished with an updated introduction by Billy Bean in 2014 but the first edition remains exceedingly rare. I’m most excited however, to hear Glenn in his own words. I’m always looking to broaden my perspective and hear different voices and views from every perspective on life. Having read the opening chapter, I think this will be a good read and a tough read but very important.