Thread: January pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 06:54 AM

Default Smoky Joe Wood framed project

Freshly back from the framer, here is a Smoky Joe Wood project that I have been working on for quite a while.

The yellow Fenway dated win ticket is from Smoky Joe's famed 1912 season in which he won 34 games. He also had a streak in which he knocked out 16 wins in a row.
Wood pitched the 2nd game in this DH on 6/29/12 and hurled a nifty 1-hitter.
Thanks to net54's David Shakir for allowing me to add this Holy Grail ticket that I had been patiently looking for over the years.
When I purchased this ticket a couple of years ago it provided the missing piece needed to complete the project.

The blue fully-dated Boston Americans ticket is from Smoky Joe's 1909 season and was one of his early career pitched games.
His opponent that day were the Ty Cobb led Detroit Tigers with Tigers pitching ace George Mullin on the mound.
In spite of them losing that day, the Tigers clinched the AL pennant when their rival Philadelphia A's also lost in what had been a tight pennant race (September 30, 1909).

The index card is an early example of Joe's signature in fountain pen, which is a personal collecting favorite of mine.

Walter Johnson, who is credited with having one of the best fastballs in ML history, stated that at his peak nobody was as fast as Smoky Joe Wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoky Joe Wood framed piece-1.jpg (42.4 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Smoky Joe Wood framed piece-2.jpg (45.8 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-29-2021 at 04:19 AM.