View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I was stunned to see how many times during the playoffs all star and even Hall of Fame caliber starting pitchers who looked pretty strong still were yanked early in the game in favor of a cast of journeymen. Dave Roberts seems especially prone to this, but by no means was he the only one. I really did not get it, and more often than not it seemed to backfire. To me, a first principle of baseball has always been that by definition your starters are better pitchers than your relievers (POSSIBLE exception of superstar quality closer but even then not necessarily) and therefore if a starting pitcher is in command you leave him alone.
I must be getting old, because when I was a kid in the 80's, looking at pitching lines from prior decades made them seem so....unreal. I mean even stuff from the 60's with 300 IP were crazy, but looking at the early pre-war stuff was even more nuts.

A kid today watching today's game would think the same about the baseball I grew up...200-275 IP seasons? 20 game winners? Jack Morris (and John Smoltz!) in Game 7 in 1991. It must seem like a different age!