View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default Think theres deserving 19th century players not in the HOF

Posted By: john/z28jd

If i had a vote for just one player id probably chose Caruthers just based on the fact he went 218-99 career as a pitcher but actually played more games in the outfield because he was such a good hitter too.A .282 career avg for a guy who was one of the best pitchers of his day should help his cause,could you imagine a pitcher nowadays leading the league in on base % like he did in 1886.

He had two 40 win seasons and also batted .357 with 102 runs scored in 1887 when he went 29-9 on the mound.

Contrary to popular belief i didnt mention Larry Corcoran in my email to the hall of fame despite his 5 year stretch from 1880-1884 which is comparable to anyone not named Albert Goodwill Spalding who has pitched before or since.

I would however like to see Jimmy Ryan make the hall(and do believe he deserves it anyway)because i have all 6 of his old judge poses.Not that i would sell them,but it would be cool to have all the poses of a hall of famer,and its not going to happen for any current HOF'er.Not at these OJ prices recently.

So,how many people actually wrote in their opinion to the Hall?