View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
After further thought: keep your day job no matter how much you dislike it, start a baseball card business that you can develop at night and on the weekends. Only try it fulltime after you've established you can make a living at it. My guess is you will make some money but not nearly enough to support a family. It's much tougher today than when I got in in the early 80's.
I very much agree! IMO Stating small on the internet and trying to exploit a niche in the market would be the way to go. That being said, I am not sure if there is a niche out there in the card market that has not been tried. I also have to wonder about the degree of disposable income that people currently have to devote to cards. I have been away from the hobby for a while though. I have known of two instances in which a person has purchased an existing card business. In both instances, I have seen the buyer not really able to recoup their initial investment and in one case, the buyer inherited the problems with the previous business. I think that it is safe to say that most of us have flipped cards for a profit. It is much easier to flip cards when a person does not have to worry about supporting yourself and or your family.
Best of luck to you on whatever you decide to try.