View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 03:55 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Nice story. "Deadliest Catch" is one of my favorite shows ever. I always missed that first seasons drama, when quotas weren't much of an issue and they would just pile up the crab on the deck if they couldn't fit it in the tanks anymore.

Wondered why they never did that again, and you kind of cleared it up for me.
I am also a "Deadliest Catch" fan. Over Christmas and New Year's, I read Scott Campbell Jr.'s book "Giving the Finger: Risking it All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea." The book is a quick read at around 250 pages, but he really gets into what it is like to work on a crab boat as a greenhorn or a full-share deckhand.

Campbell also talks about the "Derby" style fishing of the old days and how dangerous it made the fishing because captains never wanted their crew to sleep because any time spent sleeping was time that other boats were catching crab. Now that each boat has a fixed quota of how much crab they can catch, captains are more willing to allow the crew to get at least some sleep.

Campbell talked hauling/setting gear for 36 hours straight, sleeping four hours, then hauling/setting gear for another 36 hours straight in the days of "Derby" fishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Finger-...tt+campbell+jr

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.