View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 07:33 PM
Casey Melchionno

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Just to be clear, I didn't win the eBay auction. I didn't even bid. For the 1960 and 1961 sets, I am still just bottom feeding, with the one exception of a '61 Ted Williams. (For 1963, I have signed versions of 63 of 66 cards, so I have dropped some coin on several cards. But, even then, not to the tune of $685.)

But, to the subject matter, the Pristine auction does say "This item is being shipped from an approved vendor's location", so I assume you are right that Pristine is just fronting for Probstein. Thanks for the input.
I would not say the auction house is fronting for Probstein. Tough to explain. I think the person who owns the item (not Probstein, they are consignment only) allowed Pristine to auction off their item(s) with a secret reserve without actually giving them the item. If the item meets reserve the owner would probably drop ship to the winner. If not, Pristine will just continue to auction it off in their next auctions until one day it does meet the reserve. Meanwhile the person who actually owns the card still has it hand and is free to sell it any way they choose. In this case it appears they decided to consign it to Probstein to be auctioned off and actually sell this time. But never told Pristine to stop auctioning off their item. If that makes any sense...Bush League for sure!

Last edited by Caseyatbat; 10-29-2020 at 07:34 PM.