View Single Post
Old 06-07-2023, 06:58 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
Blyleven holds the major League record for winning the most 1-0 games (15) more than anyone in the history of MLB except the Big Train.

He also lost nine 1-0 games.

Jack Morris and Bert Blyleven get little respect from fans in regards to the Hall of Fame. They were both money pitchers in the post season and compiled outstanding regular season records compared to their peers.

I would be very comfortable having to rely on either one to be my starting pitcher in the seventh game of the World Series.

Could you say the same for hofers like Kaat, Niekro, Bunning and Sutton?
As a lifetime Tiger fan I would take Jack Morris for game 7 over Justin Verlander. But is he a hall-of-fame pitcher? I don't know. I'd actually take Mickey Lolich over Jack Morris for a big game, but he's nowhere near considered a hall of famer.

I'm fine with Blyleven in the hall; it's just that watching him over his career he never seemed to be considered in the same league as guys like Carlton, Seaver, and even Jim Palmer. But it was the same with Phil Niekro and Gaylord Perry. They never seemed like hall-of-famers either during their careers. It wasn't until they were done and you looked at their long careers and the stats they accumulated that they were considered elite.

And I'd be fine with Dale Murphy getting in. What's Jim Rice got that Dale Murphy hasn't got?