View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 11:20 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I've never believed this story for a second.

As already mentioned Topps was not flush with cash to waste overhead in such a illogical way. I could believe incineration as it was a very popular method in these instances for that time. The math is just refusing to math on this.

Sy was always one to take advantage of a story and the myth was one of his favorites to wink about. The collectors that love a good conspiracy will always embrace this, however I have seen far of evidence of Bigfoot than a speck of discernable fact in this hobby myth.

As far as marketing goes, there has never been a reason to come out with the truth on this for Topps. More honestly, after this amount of time the only man that could have told the truth passed away in 2014.

This hobby story is forever here to stay, but there is zero truth to it in my mind.
One thing I know for certain is there was no incinerator used by Topps, as confirmed by many who worked there over the years.

I have to think Sy's wife's story is accurate in the sense Topps emptied warehouses out at some point and he spoke of it sometimes while working at Topps but so much of it doesn't add up, at least where the 52 highs and the Mantles are concerned. And why is there no other contemporary account of this? The dumping of garbage at sea may have required a government contract. One of my long standing clients (I have been in the business of adjusting physical damage claims on ships, tugs and barges for 39 years) used to have this contract and I am familiar with how this worked in the 1990's, where there were City of New York garbage piers at various points, where the barges were loaded up but the practice in the Sixties could have been different. But Topps seems to have still used a private carter in the 1960's, which I am aware of via a friend's father who had the contract for a business next door at Bush Terminal. If Sy took a ride on the tug, it may or may not have been via the City of NY contract holder at the time. Which seems kind of far-fetched.

Per Mr. Mint's Insider Guide, in his own (ghost-written?) words:
"There were bricks of gem mint 1952s."

PSA Article: https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7813/pulp-non-fiction-famous-1952-topps-baseball-find

He did this video 15 years ago on the Framingham find:
https://youtu.be/rjckQNXP4Gs?si=E32nlFqcI8K6LE8q

Is there a source for details on wrappers or other elements of the find? Rosen just mentions the "case." UPDATE-above post crossed with mine. I am unaware of anything but five cent wax packs for the highs, has anyone ever seen another form of packaging (or vending) for them? "apparently" indicates to me he didn't know, when he could have easily asked.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-11-2024 at 11:31 AM.