View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 03:24 PM

Default Retirement

It will be a year this month in retirement, at age 61. I worked 39 years in IT. From punched cards to working in the cloud.

Went thru multiple ups and downs in the market to fund retirement, a home, 3 undergrad degrees and 2 graduate degrees for my wife and kids. It wasn't easy, but it's possible with planning, a little luck, and lots of blessings.

I never was a big spender on cards ... it's always been a hobby, and I've always bought low grade raw cards. But I'm finding that even that is a challenge in today's market. So I've spent more time building a small website to show what I've bought over the years. It's low cost (only my time) and fun to do.

And what Adam states about senior care is something to understand while you are young. My mom was in assisted living for a few years. Very expensive and kind of poop theater (I wasn't sure if I could say sh*t show on the forum). Make sure you have this covered thru savings and insurance. And do things in your life that helps prevent / slow down dementia. Read. Continue to learn (I'm currently taking classes on iOS development). Play a musical instrument (I learned to play mandolin and tenor guitar at 58). Stay active and social.

Thanks ... Tim